What You’ll Hear in Today’s 15-Minute Huddle:
- Today’s questions: When we feel fear (as an athlete, especially as a female athlete), what we do with that emotion of FEAR? Especially when we don’t want to admit it because we feel like it makes us look weak?
- To help answer this question, I’m joined by Coach Christen Schnefaus who speaks all over the country to athletes, parents, and coaches about Handling Fear. We discuss how fear works in our minds and how to be there for your female athlete.
- How to get rid of the “tap dancer” and get real with your feelings.
- The way fear undermines our confidence.
- Why sharing our fears and doubts is important and how you can encourage those conversations with your athletes.
- How to build a good relationship with your teenage athlete and some tips to encourage an open relationship.
Links & References:
- You can connect with Coach Christen: http://coachchristen.com/
Coach Christen started coaching swimming after her career at the University of Tennessee, where she walked on the Lady Vol Swim Team as a freshman and walked out four years later as a 4x All-American and captain her junior and senior seasons. After graduating from Tennessee in 1997 with a BA in Psychology, Christen (Christie) Shefchunas spent 2 years coaching at the club level before starting her college coaching career. She was an assistant coach at Michigan State University for 2 years before going to SMU as the women’s assistant for 4 years, where she worked with Olympians, World Champions and NCAA Champions.
In 2006, Christen became the Head Coach at the University of Miami, where she spent 7 seasons. In 2013, Coach Christen decided to leave her college coaching career to start speaking full time, as well as Confidence Coach Olympic level and Professional athletes. In 2015 though, she returned to the swimming world for a year, as she helped Team Elite, a group of Olympians and National team members prepare for the 2016 Olympics Games in Rio. Coach Christen has now returned to working with Olympians, professional athletes, college and high school athletes as a Confidence Coach, and speaks to athletes, leaders and coaches across the country. She is a speaker at the LEAD Sports Summit, and has partnered with 3x Olympian Kara Lynn Joyce in leading Mother/Daughter Confidence Seminars. Christen is the author of Naked Confidence: Revealing Your Whole Truth and Finally Moving Forward and is the creator of Confidence Nuggets .
CONTINUE THE HUDDLE
We love hearing from you!
If you have a question about today’s episode (or want to ask a question of your own for the podcast), you can email me at email@example.com or head on over to the Sports Moms United Facebook Community